Sunday 3 June 2012

Off to Washington

On a wet Sunday afternoon I am setting off from Yorkshire on the long journey to Washington DC. Just before I set off I was able to check into the flight , print my boarding card, check my VISA exemption status and confirm the train times - in a matter of minutes. It couldn't be more different for patients trying to interact with the NHS!

It was a poignant reminder of the challenge before us - opening up the NHS to this kind of innovation. We've made some important first steps - open data strategy, information strategy, open government partnership- but we've a long way to go...

Last week I had a glimpse of the future at the NHS Hack Day - a great bunch of self confessed 'nerds' who achieved amazing things in 48 hours. They wrote apps for everyday problems in the NHS and seemed hungry for important challenges they could apply themselves to. They certainly kept their side of the bargain - we need to respond by opening up the data , opening up the standards and opening up the systems.

This might just be, as they say - 'the start of something amazing'

Mark Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment